– Franklin M. Garrett, founder of the Atlanta Historical Society and Atlanta’s first official historian, wrote of Stonehurst Place’s owner and builder, George Hinman.
The home, known as Stonehurst, was built in 1896 by George Burch Hinman for his growing family. For over 100 years, the home belonged to the same family. Today, it retains much of the original layout, features and hardware.
George Hinman’s parents emigrated from England to Canada, and then settled in Atlanta in 1871. During the late 19th century, Hinman built textile mills throughout the Southeast and owned cotton gin and furniture factories in Atlanta. He had several brothers, including Thomas, a nationally prominent dentist who founded the annual Hinman Dental Conference in Atlanta.
Stonehurst was home to George, his wife Cara Farnsworth Hinman, and their four children: William, Ruth, Dorothy and Cara (a fifth child, Virginia, did not survive). Later, Stonehurst was also home to Dorothy’s husband Charles Carter and their son George Hinman Carter.
Purchased by an Atlanta couple from the family estate after the youngest daughter Cara’s death in 1996, the home was a small bed and breakfast for some years. In 2007, Barb Shadomy purchased Stonehurst after discovering it while in England studying interior and garden design.
For 17 months, Barb and her team of architects and contractors, specialists in historic and eco-friendly systems, renovated and restored the home and its gardens. The house meets standards set by the US National Park Service, the GA State Historic Preservation Office, Southface and EarthCraft House.
Follow us for updates on events, happenings, specials, and fun times.
Be the first to know everything about Stonehurst Place, and never miss a moment.